The Biofeedback Breakthrough That Changed Everything
My frustation with being stuck, injured and not making progress changed literally overnight, on a cold Saturday in the middle of a Minnesota winter. In circumstances reminiscent of a spy movie, I was introduced to something that I would never have believed if I didn’t experience it for myself. This was a moment like something out of The Matrix. Just like Neo, I was being offered two choices. I could either take the leap and see how deep the rabbit hole went, or wake up in my bed believing whatever I wanted to believe. Lucky for you and me, I took the red pill and my training changed forever.
I was invited to an exclusive underground seminar where experimental techniques were being discussed. These shadowy figures were on the very cutting edge of the science of training. And during this seminar, they demonstrated to me that there is a way to figure out exactly the type of training stimulus your body needs at any given time.
Imagine knowing without a shred of doubt the exact weight, the exact reps, and the exact sets you should use for optimal progress. Beyond that, this technique can also be used to help you train around injuries and keep making progress. (In fact, it can help you avoid injury or resolve existing injuries, too.)
I know, it sounds impossible. It sounds too good to be true; it even sounds like magic – but it’s not magic, it’s science.
The technique I learned at that underground seminar is all related to a little-known concept called Biofeedback Training.
Now, if you want the technical definition of biofeedback training, it’s:
“Biofeedback is the process of gaining greater awareness of many physiological functions primarily using instruments that provide information on the activity of those same systems, with a goal of being able to manipulate them at will.”
A more basic definition of Biofeedback Training is a method that collects information from the body, and then uses that information to teach the body how to perform more effectively.
At the time, Biofeedback Training sounded great in theory, but I was still skeptical. I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn’t taken the plunge and tried it.
I saw the results for myself — and then again and again — with clients and others who had applied the principles. Using these Biofeedback Training principles I had learned, I was able to add almost 200 pounds to my deadlift in the first year alone. The next year was almost as impressive, adding another 150 pounds taking me all the way up to a 605-pound deadlift at a bodyweight of 185.
And, as I mentioned, I wasn’t the only one making such remarkable progress, my clients - regular joes and janes - were too.
I don’t just help regular guys, though. Even best-selling authors like John Romaniello and seasoned fitness professionals like Bret Contreras call me when they want deadlift advice.
Within the highest-level circles of the fitness industry, my name is pretty much synonymous with the deadlift. Sure, my reputation is partly based on the impressive results I’ve produced for myself and my clients; but the real reason I’ve become so highly regarded is that I’ve made myself a student of the deadlift. I’ve studied classic powerlifters and strongmen from as far back as the 1800s, and in doing so, I’ve rediscovered many of their long-forgotten secrets. In fact, in recent years I’ve helped to revive old school deadlift variations and bring them back to the mainstream – helping people get stronger and pack on muscle like never before.
Why A New York Times Best-Selling Fitness Author Was PISSED That I Wouldn’t Share This Information…
On a recent trip to New York City, I had the chance to hit the gym with my buddy John “Roman” Romaniello of Roman Fitness Systems. And although we were excited to train together, our session got off to a slow start...
Now, John’s no fitness slouch. He’s a best-selling author, a veteran of the fitness industry for over a decade and one of the biggest names in fitness right now. But, like anyone else, he's human. Even fitness experts hit a rut — which is what happened to John. Not only had he hit a strength plateau, he'd been experiencing extreme pain in his low back. As a result, he'd basically given up deadlifts!
Because he's my friend, I really wanted to help. Although I normally keep the recipe for my Secret Sauce close to the vest, I suggested he try some Biofeedback Training. When I explained it, he probably thought I was crazy...but he was desperate and willing to try anything. I coached him through the process, first testing his range of motion, then making adjustments and re-testing him.
In just 10 minutes, we figured out the exact stance he should be using for deadlifts, and the exact rep range he should be training with. Long story short, over the course of our session, John had an incredible first experience with Biofeedback Training. Not only was he able to pull more weight than he typically uses, it was the first time he was able to deadlift pain-free in almost 8 months!
In his words: “Mind. Blown.”
The funny thing is, over the course of our training session, John got angry with me. By the end, he was legitimately pissed off.
John wasn’t mad about his deadlift PR, he was mad that I hadn’t told him about Biofeedback Training before.
You see, I’ve kept mostly quiet about this information and these techniques over the past several years. While I was quietly using this information to train hundreds of clients at my gym, The Movement Minneapolis, for a long time I refused to share any of this information – even with my close friends. John couldn’t believe I was hoarding all this information about the deadlift – much less about the Biofeedback Training concept. He admonished me for it, and told me that I needed to write a book by the end of the summer because “it’s a book that needs to be written.”
After a few months of procrastinating, I set out to create the book John insisted I write. In the end, I wrote dozens of pages about the deadlift, including every variation you need to know about to level up your deadlift and put on massive slabs of thick muscle.
I compiled all of this information and organized it into a comprehensive program that I am excited to introduce. That program is Off The Floor: A Manual For Deadlift Domination.
Here are some of the secrets revealed in the program:
- How the common mantra of "core training" is costing you pounds and risking your back health.
- What type of deadlift will widen your back, blow up your traps, and give you erectors like tree trunks.
- Not doing these lesser-known variations is easily costing you 25 to 50 pounds on your best deadlift.
- The truth about lifting straps – and it’s probably not what you expect it to be.
- Deadlifting for high volumes – the piece you’re missing.
- The one cheap thing you should add to your gym bag to nearly instantly give you jacked forearms.
- The deadlift variation you least expect is the one most likely to help your back pain.
- The weird-looking deadlift that might be exactly what you need to unlock greater strength.
- The key to perfect form that multiple world champion and freak of nature Dimitry Klokov knows, and you think is wrong.
- Why you must change your form when you progress from beginner to a more advanced deadlifter.
- How to deadlift more often – and put on more muscle – than you ever thought possible.
The manual is as comprehensive as they come, and includes information on:
- Biofeedback Training 101: Everything you need to know to start implementing Biofeedback Training for yourself. You’re going to learn how to use the most advanced piece of training technology on the planet to tell you how to train smarter. Hint: it’s not a Tendo, an OmegaWave, or an iPhone with a gadget attached to it.
- Deadlift Training Guide: Lessons I’ve learned on my quest to become a human crane – and coaching hundreds of people along the way.
- Deadlift Exercise Library: Every critical deadlift variation you need to know. Think the deadlift is as simple as conventional or Romanian? Think again. These variants of the deadlift are the key to unlocking faster gains and unlimited progress.
- The Off The Floor Program: I’m going to be honest, in the end I want you to use Biofeedback Training to become the master of your own programming, but before you’re ready to do that you need a stopgap. The Off The Floor program is going to outline exactly how to implement all the concepts I lay out in the book for maximum results.
- Accessory Exercise Library: I would sign up for a program that involved nothing but deadlifting, but unfortunately you’d be shortchanging your results. Carefully chosen accessory lifts will round out your strength and speed up your deadlift progress.
- Special Topics Section: Want to know how to destroy the competition at your first (or next) meet? Have a nagging weak spot in your pull? Curious about the core controversy? This section will finally answer these questions for you once and for all.
When I finished writing it, there was so much information that covered so many topics I knew I needed help making it more cohesive. In other words, I needed an editor – badly. Lucky for me, I happen to be marrying Ms. Jen Sinkler, one of the most badass fitness editors in the world. Upon reading it, she remarked, “You wrote fifty-freaking-three single-spaced, 12-point-font Word document pages about deadlifting. You’re insane.” "Insane" may be too strong a word, but it’s certainly not the worst thing I’ve been called. So, I took it as a compliment. The fact is, I simply love deadlifting, and I poured everything I have into the program. Jen was kind enough to edit it for me, and the final product is a tightly edited, beautifully photographed manual full of high-level information – a manual that you can download instantly right now.